Thursday 2 January 2014

A Belated Letter

Dear China,

My apologies for having waited so long to write. In fact, it's been even longer since we last saw one another. When was the last time -  two or three years ago? Either way, my quiet day at home made me think that I should probably make contact. After all, there's much to say.

After nearly twenty-four hours of blurry travel, I arrived in Hefei exactly one month ago. While I'd love to say that my city selection emerged from careful consideration, such is not the case. Rather, I learned that a job existed in a secondary school, briefly googled the city, then said, "why not?" After living in a small town in Japan with six restaurants, two gas stations, and a very poor wine selection, I figured that anywhere with a Starbucks outside of Vancouver might be alright.

I suppose you're wondering about my first impressions of the city. In many ways, I'm lucky that I've traveled in China before. Much of my earlier shock over the garbage, never-ending dust, spitting, and toddler pants with slits in the rear for waste disposal, have only fleetingly occupied my mind.  Instead, I have time to focus my energy on other happenings such as roadside farmers markets,  elementary girls enjoying sweets after school, or the neverending stares that drink up my white skin and blond hair. 

This isn't to say that my arrival here has been seamless, but for once at least, I have a tiny ounce of familiarity with my new surroundings. 

I'll do my best to write more often. Perhaps this shall be my New Year's resolution - I'm sure you would appreciate more frequent letters from your Canadian friend.

Wishing you all the best, 

A.



No comments:

Post a Comment